Tuesday 31 March 2009

Broccoli Burgers are Winners

It should have been no surprise that broccoli makes excellent burgers. It is one of my favourite vegetables but I would never have though to put it into burgers.

These burgers are winners! Literally! I found this burger recipe a couple of years ago in an article on a competition for the best vegetarian burgers. A vegetarian burger competition sounds excellent. Now imagine being a judge if all the burgers were as good as these! I made a few changes but mostly followed the recipe and it is indeed inspired. The finely chopped broccoli cooks in the oven and the burgers hold together well – despite a few cracks when cooking.

My main disappointment was that the raw burgers had specks of purple onion and green broccoli but the cooked burgers had a crispy golden skin and were pale inside. It is helpful for anyone wanting to hide broccoli in the burgers but less pleasing for those of us who love colour in a meal.

I served the burgers with mashed potato and pumpkin with promite and topped with pineapple and banana chutney. It tasted great but all looked a bit golden-orange with not a jot of green in sight. In fact it tasted so good that when faced with a choice of leftover burgers or curry, E went for the burgers. Definitely a winning recipe!

Broccoli and Hazelnut Burgers
(adapted from Rhonda’s Broccoli Burgers)
Serves 3-4

2 eggs
2 cups well chopped broccoli
⅔ cup ground toasted hazelnuts
1 finely chopped red onion
⅔ cup dry breadcrumbs
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 handful grated cheese (optional)
¼ cup water
Salt and pepper, to taste
Oil spray for baking

Mix all ingredients and check seasoning. Use hands to shape into burger sized patties (I made 7) and place on baking sheet lined with baking paper. Spray with oil and bake 30 minutes at 180 C. Flip burgers over and spray with oil. Bake an additional 30 minutes. Serve hot.

On the Stereo:
Absent Friends – Divine Comedy

20 comments:

  1. These sound great. I would never have thought of putting brocolli in a burger either - guess you never know until you try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those do sound good! I haven't made vegetarian burgers in a while, and never would have thought to add broccoli either, but clearly, worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't broccoli amazing?! I've been using it recently in pasta soups and the Vegan With a Vengeance casserole that I think you posted about too. These burgers look like another inspired find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my kind of food on a Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look amazing - i love the green and purple in the uncooked patties too. my little one has strangely decided that he doesn't eat 'trees' anymore, so this could be the thing to get them back into him. thanks for a great idea (and I can't believe you are making burgers with a tiny bub in tow!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the great recipe, I normally make bean with mixed veg or potato burgers. It is always good to try out a new varieties of vegetarian burgers. Hope you are doing well with your baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound great, and the picture of the raw burger is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those burgers sound good, as does the whole meal! It is a pity the colour didn't show up quite so well in the finished result, but as long as they were tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Katie - it seemed a great idea when I did find it but would not have though of it either

    thanks Lisa - these burgers are worth a try

    thanks Lysy - glad you have been enjoying your broccoli - hope you enjoyed the casserole

    thanks Lucy

    thanks Bunches

    thanks Frances - this might be a good way to get more trees in his diet but hope he realises how wonderful broccoli is soon

    Thanks Kiran - I love a new idea for burgers - am doing ok with baby - although some nights are still tiring

    Thanks Jodye - I loved the colours in the raw burger too

    thanks Holler - the taste was excellent

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous combination! Sorry you lost the GREEN of the raw burger when cooked! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the sound of these! Are they moist ? but they must be if they're so good. Do you think they'd work as meat balls? I would think they might be really fun as "a little bite".
    I can see what you mean about the color when uncooked - they're beautiful but look like just a burger when cooked:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am one of those people that absolutely loves broccoli but I've never seen it in a burger. Great idea! I definitely want to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Ricki - yes the colour was a shame - I had hoped they would be very green! I had even considered adding some spinach for more green

    Thanks Tanna - they are soft but not terribly moist - I agree they would work well as little appetiser balls

    Thanks Lorraine - hope you get to try it - I will definitely be doing it again

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo these look good! I would've been disappointed by the loss of colour when cooking them too. Thanks for the link to all those burger recipes. I really need to make vegetarian burgers more often!! Also, I just emailed you about the nut roast so hopefully you got that email.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made a version of these burgers from dinner tonight (but without the nuts) and both carnivore Hubby & I loved them. They will be appearing again soon in our weekday dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to eat more broccoli so this should be a good way to eat it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made these for my anti-broccoli toddler today and oh yum! All I could think of while the aroma of them cooking filled the air was - I wish I had some beetroot chutney! Yum, Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just made these tonight and WOW. All I can say is thank goodness there are more burgers waiting for me in the kitchen because I've already devoured two and I love them! Great recipe--thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would suggest blanching the broccoli before cooking it to preserve the green color, that might help.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)