Wednesday 28 June 2023

Bali transit visit to GWK Culture Park, Indonesia

On the plane from Yogyakarta to Denpasar, I met one of my workshop colleagues who also had 5 or 6 hours before his connecting flight.  We decided to hire a taxi to see a bit of Bali while we waited.  Neither of us has been there before and it was close to sunset.  The taxi driver suggesting taking us to the nearby GWK (Garuda Wisnu Kencana) Cultural Park.  

We left our suitcases in the taxi and got a buggy up to the huge statue of Hindu god Lord Vishnu, and his mount, Garuda, the mythical bird who became his companion.  It is the tallest statue in Indonesia, and apparently can be seen from outside the park.  As it was dark as we walked around we didn't have any views, just statues lit up by spotlights.  Here are some of the photos I took before we hopped back on the plane.

 




They had finished the Balinese dances that are performed
regularly during the day.


Garuda


Vishnu



Lakshmi






It was interesting to have a look at the Cultural Park.  It felt a little commercial (especially being told our entrance fee included a drink and then finding out that it was just water) though I liked that it was fairly quiet at 7pm.  Maybe one day I will return to Bali and hope to see some of the beautiful beaches and temples.  For now at least I have seen a bit of the local mythology.

More posts from my trip to Yogyakarta, Indonesia:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)