Tuesday 5 June 2018

Apple carrot muffins (vegan)

When I saw Kari's apple carrot muffins recently I had all the ingredients and was determined to make them.  It took me longer than I intended.  So the apples sat in the fruit bowl sagging from neglect and the fridge remained full of carrots.  Then I had a window of opportunity between an appointment and taking Sylvia to swimming.  It was tight.  I literally took them out of the oven and rushed out the door (only to find that the pool was closed). 

When we returned home I found that leaving barely cooked muffins in the tin does make for soggy bottoms.  Once I returned them to the oven for 10 minutes I found they were really lovely.  Sylvia took a dislike to the carrot so I swore I will try these with parsnip.  E just was not keen.  Quite a few went into the freezer.

I can vouch that having some of these muffins in the freezer is comforting when you find that the kombucha has been finished by your daughter.  They are not pretty or decadent.  But they are on the healthier end of the muffin spectrum, vegan (if that matters) and taste good: fruity but not too sweet.

I am sending these muffins to Baking Crumbs, a collection of lots of baking blog posts.

More apple baking from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Apple cider cake
Apple date and chia seed muffins (v)
Apple slice
Apple and white chocolate blondies
Beetroot, apple and walnut scones (v)
Cranberry, apple and butterscotch muffins

Apple Carrot Muffins
Adapted from Bite Sized Thoughts
Makes 12

1-1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
3 apples (or 3/4 cup applesauce)
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup oil
1-1/2 cups grated carrots
3/4 cup soy milk
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Peel and slice apple.  Stew in a small saucepan with a few spoons of water and a squeeze of lemon if you have it.  When apple is pulpy, mash with a potato masher.  Mine was still a little chunky.  It should make about 3/4 cup of apples but if it is under, top up with some maple syrup.

Mix ingredients (including stewed apples or applesauce) together and bake in a 12 cup muffin tray at 180 C for 20-25 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.

NOTES: I used half wholemeal and half white flour.  As they don't have much sugar they will not last long but freeze well.

On the stereo:
Just the Beginning: Grace Vandewaal

6 comments:

  1. I do that with apples too. They just sit in the bowl for ages because they last so long (unlike say soft fruit).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say more for you! I reckon they’d taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More for you indeed! I'm sorry they weren't a hit with Sylvia or E but am glad you have a batch of emergency snacks for when the urge hits. I wonder if Mini Bite will turn her nose up too when she has experienced more sugar-filled muffins / products...it won't be long before I'll have to find out I suspect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself bookmarking Kari's recipes, some I have made and some yet to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely all the more for you Johanna - they look really good full of lovely flavours. Thankyou for sharing with #BakingCrumbs
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love having a freezer stash of muffins. My children's tastes change at the turn of a dime so I can't predict what they'll love. More for my lunches and snacks I say :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)