Saturday 27 August 2016

Thai curry split pea soup

When I first served this soup it was an uninspiring murky green.  I laughingly showed E the picture of Heidi's vividly coloured coconut yellow split pea soup that inspired me.  Time did not allow anything so fancy.  However I was really pleased with the subtle Thai flavours.

The jar of yellow curry paste claimed to be quite spicy so I was concerned it would be a notch too spicy for me.  When I tasted it, the soup was so mild I added more curry paste.  I even fed it to Sylvia who does not stomach spicy hot food.  She did notice it was spicy but I told her it was just flavour not heat and she was happy with that.  In fact her problem was that it was too chunky and after a few attempts, I finally blended it.  After that she had a small bowl of it two nights in a row.

E and I ate the soup four nights in a row, served over some rice. I really loved the taste of the yellow curry paste in the soup.  I had hoped for more texture in the split peas.  However once I had brought the split peas to the boil, I raced out the door to pick up Sylvia from school and in that time they softened more than I intended.  Which took it from elegant to comfort food.  Not a bad thing!  We love comfort food here!

I am sending this soup to Kimmy and Mary-Ellen for Healthy Vegan Fridays, Deb for Souper Sundays, Shaheen and VegHog for Eat Your Greens and Corina for Cook Once, Eat Twice.

More coconut cream stew/soup recipes on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
African curried coconut soup (gf, v) 
Coconut black-eyed bean stew (gf, v)
Coconut vegie and tofu stew (gf, v)
Mulligatawny (gf, v)
Skye's tomato and pumpkin curry with lime and coconut (gf, v)
Spicy pea curry (gf, v)

Thai curry split pea soup
An original Green Gourmet Giraffe recipe
Serves 8-10

1 tsp oil
1 large leek
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2.5 litres vegetable stock
3 cups green split peas
2 medium zucchinis, chopped
6 pattypan squash, chopped
1 large portobello mushroom, finely chopped
400g tin of corn kernels, drained
1 cup roast pumpkin
1 cup coconut cream
4 tbsp yellow curry paste
1/2 tsp salt
100g baby spinach leaves, chopped
rice, greens, nuts and sriracha to serve (optional)

Fry leek in oil in stockpot over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes or until leek softens.  Stir in garlic, then add stock and green peas.  Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.  Add zucchini, squash, mushroom, corn kernels, and pumpkin.  Cook for 10-15 minutes until split peas soft but keeping their shape.  Stir in coconut cream, curry paste and salt.  Bring to the boil and simmer a minutes or two.  Stir in spinach leaves and remove from heat.  Check and adjust seasoning.  Puree if desired.  Serve with rice and sriracha.

NOTES: The vegies used here can be altered depending on what is about.  I tried to keep to green and yellow but that is not necessary.  I would like to try it with celery and kale. Yellow or green split peas would work here and I intend to try the soup with red lentils.  The nuts are optional.  I only served pistachios one night on top and it was rather nice but not necessary.

On the stereo:
Son of Evil Reindeer: Reindeer Section

19 comments:

  1. This looks like one of those comforting soups if you want to eat quite healthily. I usually do red or green curries, not yellow but not for lack of liking the flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I am not sure I have done a yellow curry before but now I quite like the idea of doing more

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love Thai flavours and pea soups, so this seems like the perfect recipe to me. Would you like to share it with Eat Your Greens as well? It does have a lot of wonderful green veggies in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog - I love Thai flavours too but sometimes find it hard to find a veg curry paste and the idea of making my own is overwhelming - thanks for the Eat Your Greens reminder!

      Delete
  3. Thai flavors are among my favorites and this soup looks really delicious. Absolutely nothing wrong with a little comfort food in my book. ;-)

    Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen--it's nice to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb - so pleased to discover Souper Sundays is back - will be over again soon

      Delete
  4. Looks lovely. I also love that Sylvia accepted that it was flavour, not heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - was a bit amazed that Sylvia didn't make more fuss - must be because it was so yummy :-)

      Delete
  5. Does look very appealing, we both seem to be tucking into soup recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - I love soup at any time of year so am not surprised we are both enjoying it over both sides of the world :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm always looking for more soup recipes. I'm doing a healthy eating challenge starting Sept 1st so this soup will definitely be on my menu for the month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ellen - your healthy eating challenge sounds great - not sure I can follow exactly but will try and keep an eye on it for inspiration

      Delete
  7. I think the colour of the soup is so pretty, especially next to the pistachios. I love thai flavours, but generally I end up making some form of veggie curry. Never thought of adding the split peas, but it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - the spinach improved the colour of the soup - I put curry paste in curries mostly but this has made me rethink it - must try it in one of my lentil soups

      Delete
  8. Who needs elegant for a middle of the week meal anyway ;p Comfort food is where it's at!
    I find soup boring, but this one sounds good - I like the textures & spices. I've been enjoying experimenting with curry pastes recently but have only tried red & green so I look forward to trying yellow in this =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - I don't think you would find this soup boring - E never liked soup but likes most of mine - including this one though I have one soon that he was not so keen on

      Delete
  9. It sounds gorgeous - I love the idea of Thai flavours in a split pea soup! And it's always a bonus if you can get a little one to eat it too! Thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corina - I think I managed to get Sylvia to eat it 2 nights out of the 4 we had it - which I agree is quite a bonus!

      Delete
  10. I love comfort food. There is something about split peas and soup that just meld together so wonderfully. I'd happily eat a meal like this for days on end :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)