Sunday 14 February 2016

Halvah energy slice

I had a vision of a pink marbled halvah for Valentine's Day.  The reality was that it was too smooth to be the sandy texture of halvah, the berries I want to use up were mostly starting to compost, I used too much beetroot powder, my little blender attachment wasn't up to marbling so it looked blotchy, it never firmed up in the fridge, and, to add insult to injury, my favourite macro lens died while I was making the slice.  However it tasted good and perhaps that is the important thing.

So instead of halvah I have a halvah energy slice.  I was pleased to use some of the yacon syrup I bought when recipe testing for Ricki's cookbook, Naturally Sweet and Gluten Free.  Which is where I found the recipe that inspired me this week.  For those who are not familiar with yacon syrup, it is an outrageously expensive healthy sweetner that tastes a bit like treacle.  The yacon syrup and coconut sugar was just enough sweetness for me, though possibly not enough for some.

Actually E and Sylvia weren't too impressed by my halvah energy slice.  Fortunately they both loved the heart shaped pancakes we had for breakfast this morning for Valentines Day.  (Recipe coming soon.)  I, on the other hand, have been enjoying the halvah. 

I am sending this slice to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

More healthy slices from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Chocolate energy slice (v)
Chocolate lime energy slice (v)
Chocolate sunbutter energy slice (v)
Fruit, nut and tahini slice (v)
Jeanette's coconut date slice (gf, v) 
Pumpkin muesli slice (v)

Halvah energy slice
Adapted from Ricki Heller

3/4 cup tahini
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
3 tbsp yacon syrup or agave nectar
1 tbsp coconut sugar
pinch fine sea salt

1-2 tbsp chopped strawberries
1 tsp beetroot powder
1 tsp coconut sugar

Roughly blend tahini, ground almonds, sesame seeds, yacon syrup (or agave), sugar and sea salt in a food processor.  Take about 1/4 of tahini mixture and blend with berries, beetroot powder and sugar.  Press remainder of tahini mixture into 15cm square cake tin lined with clingfilm.  Add add blobs of the berry mixture on top.  Well actually it should be marbled through by pulsing the pink stuff through the main stuff a few times but I wasn't confident enough in my food processor.  Alternately roll into balls or press into moulds.  Keep in fridge.

On the Stereo:
Listen, Listen: Sandy Denny

20 comments:

  1. Happy Valentines to you and your little family.
    I think it looks adorable. I have a halva recipe bookmarked and was hoping to make something similar, but never got round to making them. I haven't used bacon syrup as of yet, as I haven't seen any around in the UK yet - but I am sure that will change. I'd be happy to eat your halva hearts even if Sylvia and E were not so taken by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - and a belated happy valentines to you and yours as well. Yacon syrup is ridiculously expensive - I like it but there are lots of cheaper alternatives.

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed you still have your yacon from Ricki's recipe testing! Mind went long ago, albeit in the context of moving countries. This sounds like a delicious slice to me and the pink heart pancakes are impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I paid too much ($35) for my small jar of yacon syrup to chuck it and I paid too much to just throw it into any recipe but Ricki specified it in the recipe so that seemed the right moment! Took me a while though :-) Moving seems a good reason to release it.

      Delete
  3. Everything looks even more darling in the shape of a heart!
    Happy Valentine's day!!<333

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi - happy valentines day to you too belately

      Delete
  4. I have a very soft spot for halva, so if it's not gone down too well at home, you can always pack a bit and send it this way. I'd be very happy, particularly with the fruity, hearty looks too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - I am very fond of halvah too - sorry but it is just gone or else of course I would be happy to share :-)

      Delete
  5. The energy slice sounds nice and the heart shaped pancake is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - I really need more inspiration for using the heart shaped tart tins

      Delete
  6. Halvah is available as a packaged candy here. I love the sesame flavor! Interesting to make your own.

    best... mae from maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae - we live in an area with lots of middle eastern shops and cafes so it is easy to buy really nice halvah around here but fun to make my own sort of halvah too

      Delete
  7. looks great to me, anything halva is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - I feel the same way about halvah - food of the gods!

      Delete
  8. Wow you get so experimental Johanna! I have a lot of halva to use up as I intended to make a cake for Christmas that didn't work out at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I am fascinated by your halvah cake and that you have lots in your house still - I think I would find it too tempting

      Delete
  9. "However it tasted good and perhaps that is the important thing."
    This is most important in my books! It sounds super delicious. I have only had halvah a couple of times, and although I enjoyed it, it felt a little heavy. Your recipe seems a little lighter and I think I'll enjoy it more.
    Thanks so much for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays, Johanna. I'm pinning & sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - I am really into taste too which is just as well with some of my photos :-)

      Delete
  10. I love the texture of Halva, but I always find it a little too sweet. Whether your little heart went to plan or not, it looks lovely! A perfect Valentines offering. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - halvah is so so sweet but so yummy. this was a great less sweet alternative

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)