Monday 3 July 2023

Vincent the Dog, Carlton cafe

Back in 2019, when I was discussing a breakfast venue to meet my friend Yaz, I found that I am pretty good with lunch and dinner venues around Carlton but am pretty ignorant of what is open for pre-work breakfast.  In the end I was very happy with his suggestion of Vincent the Dog on Drummond Street.

The location gave me a start because it was next to what used to be Markov Place.  I remember going out drinking there many years ago.  I am pretty sure it was before I started blogging in 2007.  Those child free days seem faraway and idyllic.  Perhaps more idyllic than they actually were.  Nowadays it is a challenge to get out of the house early and to go home late.  So I was late for breakfast.

Vincent the Dog does not have a big space but was not crowded.  People came and went, probably on their way to work without time to linger.  I liked this big communal table in the morning light.  Most fascinating was the framed artwork which was a laptop taken apart into its components.  We sat at the window overlooking the Carlton Court House.

The menu is of the meat and egg variety with not a lot to offer if these aren't your thing.  (And indeed aren't my thing!).  But if you want to go beyond toast and bagels there were a few interesting dishes.  Mushrooms on toast with spinach cheese and some intriguing sweet potato curls.  I was also intrigued by the Chinese doughnut filled with melted cheese and wish I had asked if it could be served without the pulled pork on top.

Instead I ordered the Smashed avocado on multiseed sourdough bread with rocket, feta cheese, radish and cherry tomato.  It was really nice and refreshing with the extra vegetables.



Last month I was finally cycling through the right part of Carlton to return to Vincent the Dog and was really pleased with my meal.  It was a cold day so I started with a hot chocolate which was just right: nice and hot and chocolatey.


The menu seemed to have a few more vegan options for me than last time.  There was still the smashed avo with slightly different toppings; a dish called the Fun Guy with mushrooms, spinach, sweet potato, pecorino and pineapple relish; plus rice paper rolls, spring rolls, a noodle salad and a few bagels.  The sweet and salty waffle looks great on the limited dessert menu.

I chose the Vegie Rosti with avocado, haloumi, mushrooms, pickled onion, tomato and feta.  It was excellent.  Perhaps a bit salty but everything cooked just right.  The rosti was a potato rosti cooked in a waffle shape, which you can't see in the photo because the plate was so loaded.  I would definitely order it again but perhaps I might ask for some pineapple relish on the side.

On this second visit, I was alone and able to be entertained by the luvvy theatre conversations going on about me.  I also discovered that there is a really nice courtyard out the back as well as a few seats out the front.  It is also very dog friendly, as the name hints at.  It is a little off the beaten track, being on Drummond Street rather than Lygon Street but it is very close to Lygon Court and the Courthouse Theatre, so it is handy to a few places. I hope I will find myself there again some time.

Vincent the Dog
348 Drummond Street, Carlton
Open every day: 8am-3pm
(03) 9348 2068
Facebook page

1 comment:

  1. Love the beautifully presented dishes and the art on the latte mug! These days, I enjoy meeting friends for breakfast instead of going out drinking after work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)