Saturday 19 August 2023

Eastside adventures: Sebby Scrolls, Shanklin and Friends of Mine and street art


One of the joys of working four days a week is that a three day weekend gives more time to spend with my daughter.  We had an interesting day a few weeks back going around the East of Melbourne.  Firstly we went to buy what Sylvia swore were the best cinnamon scrolls in Melbourne, to the cafe with Turkish delight latte and past another place where we had been recently.  In between there was street art and some childhood memories.

Our first port of call was Sebby Scrolls at 11am.  After hearing from Sylvia that they were the best in Melbourne, I was surprised at how humble they appeared.  They sell two products -  cinnamon scrolls and cheeseymite scrolls - from a hole in the wall in a suburban street.  But we could see them making dozens and dozens of scrolls.  There was a steady stream of customers and when we drove back past less than an hour later, they were sold out.  Opening hours are 8.30am-2pm or until sold out!


We bought 2 of the cheeseymite scrolls and 4 of the cinnamon scrolls to take to the park over the road.  I loved my cheeseymite.  It was soft and warm with lots of vegemite throughout the swirly scrolls and lots of crispy melted cheese on top.  It was so filling I did not have much room for a cinnamon scroll.  Just a little taste.  They were nice but not my sort of scroll.  I grew up with coffee scrolls with golden brown edges and a little dollop of pink plastic icing.  Now I am not endorsing pink plastic icing but I just need a little and I found the oodles of cream cheese frosting too sweet and too messy.  I also found the scrolls cooked but much softer than I like.  Sylvia loved them.  Of course they lasted her a few days!


It was lovely sitting in the park having warm scrolls.  The backstory of Sebby's Scrolls is a couple who perfected baking cinnamon scrolls during the covid lockdowns and opened their own commercial kitchen, which now makes scrolls for over 45 businesses in Melbourne.  So if you can't find their hole in the wall in South Caulfield, you might find them at a place nearer you such as Terror Twilight, Seven Seeds and Applehead Deli.


Then we had a drive about because this was the part of Melbourne where I lived for the first few years of my life but rarely visit now.  The area must have changed a lot since I spent time here as a child but I can't remember how it was.  Above is some street art on a corner of North Road that I liked.

We came across more lovely street art from a deli called The Fresh Feast in East Hawthorn.  It looked really nice and we would have come back to buy arancini if not so full after visiting our next place.

A few doors down from The Fresh Feast is Shanklin Cafe.  It is in a little terrace house with exposed brick walls, warm lights and artworks.  When we arrived there was a short queue and it didn't take long to seat us in the little room between the verandah and the larger room with the counter

The reason we were there was that Sylvia wanted to try the Turkish Delatte ($6).  There are so many attractive lattes about but they are just flavoured milk which is not my thing.  Sylvia loves milk much more than me.  Which is so lovely that I can admire her choices.  This warm (Turkish Delight) rose flavoured latte (no coffee) came with whipped cream, dried rose petals and rose dust.  Sylvia enjoyed it with some hot chips ($8) but did not finish her latte.

Meanwhile I tossed up between the corn fritters and the pancakes.  Knowing I am not often in Hawthorn, I chose the more decadent option of the Nutella Stuffed Pancakes ($27).  The menu says they are served with seasonal fruits, mixed berry and vanilla compôte, nutella labne, pistachio, caramelised walnut served with vanilla bean ice cream & maple syrup.  

Mine came with a whopping 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream that I politely pushed to the side.  Not my thing!  I would have preferred more maple syrup.  I enjoyed the generous dollop of nutella, with more between the pancakes and all the berries and compote around the side.  But it was rather rich and I took some of it home in a box to enjoy later.  It was accompanied by a pleasing berry kombucha.

Then we drove homewards.  As we went down Swan Street, we passed busy netball courts and a cafe with yellow awnings and welcoming lights.  I mentioned to Sylvia that it looked like a nice place to visit.  She checked the name and found it was Friends of Mine, a cafe that had looked quite different when we had visited a few months before on a dreary rainy day.  Above is an amusing piece of Eastside toff street art we had seen when walking from our car park.

So I digress to tell you about our visit to Friends of Mine.  We had decided to visit after an Ikea excursion.  It was warm and light after coming in from the rain.  More spacious warehouse than cosy cottage but lots of yellow and exposed brickwork and large modern artwork.  It was very busy, a little noisy and rather welcoming.

Sylvia chose fried eggs on toast with some hot chips.  I wanted to try the Cheesy Herb Toast comprised of five grain toast with golden grilled béchamel sauce, parmesan, tasty cheese and mozzarella.  On the side I had some roasted tomatoes and thyme buttered mushrooms.   I liked the idea of cheese on toast which was far more common in my childhood than a cheese toastie.  I was so cold I had a hot chocolate for extra warmth.  We were very pleased with our brunch.

As we continued our drive home, I stopped to photograph some street art.  This Charlie Brown and Snoopy street art was on Coppin Street almost opposite Dame Nellie Melba Memorial Park.

Then there were the fighters painted on Church Street near the corner of Bridge Road.

We headed back North, just stopping at Clay Organics in Rathdowne Street, North Carlton for a spot of health food shopping before arriving home.

Sebby's Scrolls
367 North Road, Caulfield South
Takeaway only
Hours: Wed to Sat 8.30am - 2pm, Sun 8.30am - 1pm
(or until sold out)

Shanklin Cafe
500 Tooronga Road, Hawthorn East
shanklincafe.com.au
Hours: Mon to Sat 6.30am - 3pm, Sun 7am - 3pm

Friends of Mine
500 Swan Street, Richmond
friendsofmine.com.au
Hours:  Mon to Fri 7am - 3pm, Sat to Sun 7.30am - 3pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)