Saturday 30 July 2016

Street Art in Melbourne: Coburg III

While life is busy, here is some street art from Coburg to entertain you.  Above is a current favourite of mine with the Cat in the Hat and Adventure Time.  It is off Harding St and last time I passed was messed up a little by some graffiti.

 A few of these photos are from last year's MoreArt 2015 (Moreland Council's public art show).  I really loved the handstand pictures by the Coburg Leisure Centre and in the Victoria St Mall.  Sadly no longer there.

The handstand pictures are by Larissa McFarlane.  They chronicle her self management of chronic illness by doing daily handstands.

Also part of MoreArt was this picture in Dunnes Lane.  Again this is no longer there.

Dunne's Lane now has a new artwork and seating.  You have to crane your neck to look at this silhouette.

We also have some recent new artwork on the football oval.  Can you see the fluorescent yellow vest of one of the guys working on this artwork?

Painting signal boxes is widespread in the inner north of Melbourne.  These cute pictures on a signal box are at the corner of Bell Street and Nicholson Street.

 Just a bit further up Nicholson Street on the corner is this Be Free picture.

I went to do a body balance class recently and it was sold out so I had a bike ride instead.  Most of these pictures above are from the Upfield Line.  As are the ones below.


More Coburg Street Art pictures in 2014 and 2015.

12 comments:

  1. Street art can be fabulous! I love your images, sorry that some have disappeared. But maybe the ephemeral nature of the work is part of the appeal.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae - part of me likes the ephemeral nature because nothing lasts and part of me yearns for the lost street art

      Delete
  2. you know i love street art and love these, thanks for sharing. I love the handstands! I can't remember the last time i did a handstand must been well over 10 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - that recent? I am impressed - I was never one for handstands - preferred cartwheels :-)

      Delete
  3. Such fun street art! Colourful and cheeky :) I haven't done a handstand in a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - it is cheering to have some interesting street art around

      Delete
  4. I love the handstand pictures too. I'm also curious about her approach to using handstands to manage illness! I'm not sure I'd find standing on my head beneficial but obviously there's something I don't know :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - just a guess - maybe the concentration to do the handstands takes your focus away from other pain or worries - I would need A LOT of focus!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a really nice and vibrant area. Street art is so cool and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog - street art makes an area feel vibrant

      Delete
  6. Love these street art shots, especially the Dr Seuss mural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - the Dr Seuss artwork is my favourite too - sad to see it defaced recently

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)