Sunday 13 March 2016

Edinburgh legend: The Baked Potato Shop

One of my fond memories of living in Edinburgh was eating vegan haggis on baked potatoes from the Baked Potato Shop at the top of Cockburn Street.  It was close to work so it was quite convenient unless the Edinburgh Festival was in full swing and queues out the door.  I was delighted to have an opportunity to go there again this week.

I opted to have some coleslaw with my vegan haggis on a potato.  This cost a more than reasonable £5.40.  The photo does not do it justice.  It was huge.  I had a good appetite from walking around the shops and I love baked potato skins.  Even so, it was too much for me.  I really loved the combination and kept feeling like I was eating cheese but I think I was tasting the haggis and potato combination.

The reason I didn't take many photos inside is that there is very little room to sit.  Hence I sat at the only table with a couple of other patrons who were very friendly.  We chatted like old friends.  It made me feel a little shy of taking many photos.  

So I took a few photos outside instead.  Cockburn (pronounced Co-burn) is one of the first places I ever saw in Edinburgh.  Perhaps this explains my fondness for it.  Or maybe it is just that the downward curve fascinates me.  Or is it just that it has always had lots of interesting shops.  Including the Baked Potato Shop.  It is not in the below photo which is taken looking up Cockburn Street.

The Baked Potato Shop is one of Edinburgh's vegetarian gems with lots of vegan options.  According to the sign, the shop was established in 1983, though I think it closed for a period.  I would love to go back on this trip but there is so much to visit and it is less practical when with E and Sylvia.  It is a tiny shop that is not suitable for family groups or strollers. However I highly recommend it.  And as an added bonus, you can purchase a bag of Mackie's Haggis and Cracked Pepper crisps that is suitable for vegans and vegetarians.  Just brilliant!  

The Baked Potato Shop
56 Cockburn Street
Edinburgh Old Town
0131 225 7572
Open every day: 9am - 7pm
Facebook page

The Baked Potato Shop Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

20 comments:

  1. My kind of place! I am sighing with a little envy over all your lovely Edinburgh photos. Beautiful buildings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - am sure you would take lovely photos of Edinburgh buildings - they are just amazing

      Delete
  2. Hehe I've had those haggis chips! They're delicious! :D And sometimes only carbs will do! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I found the haggis chips surprisingly meaty which is odd as they don't have any meat in them. And I think the cold weather makes me want carbs

      Delete
  3. I love love love this place. I ate so many potatoes there when I was in Edinburgh!! And they had delicious vegan carrot cake too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah - I wish I could go back there many times but sadly am unlikely to

      Delete
  4. sounds great. I do love a baked potato. Though I'm not sure about haggis vegan or otherwise! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosalie - don't think offal - think a really substantial filling of nuts, oats, maybe beans and lots of seasoning - it was odd I kept feeling I could taste cheese though

      Delete
  5. What an odd burst of synchronicity - I just finished eating some vegan haggis just now. It's pretty good (I imagine it's the same brand) but I'm not surprised you were full after that spud - it's filling stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - I think they use McSweens at the backed potato shop but would need to double check - it is brilliant - I can't wait for another veg haggis meal

      Delete
  6. Seems like a great place and I always wanted to visit Edinburgh, so I really should go soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog - oh you must come here - it is easy to get to on the train from London (which I think is your abode)

      Delete
  7. Your baked potato looks delish - I am a fan of the vegetarian spud at Spud Bar, so appreciate a good spud. Who knew about the pronunciation of "Cockburn" - not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - I don't go out for baked potatoes as much as I would like but often have them at a festival. I know that Cockburn is pronounced Co'burn but not sure if this extends to all usage of Cockburn (incidentally one of the strangest Scottish pronunciations I have found is that Scots say Mingus instead of Menzies - hence our former PM being called Ming)

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you made it back for one of their legendary potatoes. We walked past when we were in Edinburgh but in mid-winter wanted seating options and sadly couldn't find any, so we skipped over the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it was great to get there but I haven't managed the last few visits because of the logistics of eating in or out. It is much better in summer.

      Delete
  9. Oh, yum - it looks perfect for the Edinburgh climate too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy to learn it is there, your right about photographs. I had never been able to take a pic. when I was there either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think you can go wrong with a baked potato. Yours looks delish! The perfect meal for a cold Scottish day...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vegan haggis in a baked potato? Sounds interesting!
    It's so beautiful there! The architecture is really something. It would quite a city to see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)