Monday 29 September 2014

Spinach, sundried tomato and chive chickpea scramble

A week or so before these school holidays arrived, Sylvia had a curriculum day.  We didn't need to get up early and get her to school but there were other appointments.  I had seen Emma's recent chickpea scramble and was inspired.  After all there was all the chickpea flour I had recently bought.
  
Suddenly I looked at the clock and the hands were wooshing around a bit too fast for my liking.  We had to be at the doctor very soon.  I chopped up the vegies, mixed up the chickpea omelette and had it all in a scramble in minutes.  Sandwiched it in a bun and chomped through it quickly.  It was very satisfying.  For more so than racing to the doctor only to have to wait for 30 minutes.

It was far better than tofu scramble which can be watery and floppy.  The soft chunks are such great comfort food.  I never liked eggs and am not even sure how to scramble one but somehow I still like it with that smelly black salt that is there to give an eggy taste.

In fact I liked it so much that I made it for a quick lunch for E shortly afterwards.  He loved it, perhaps not as much as me.  E had his over an English muffin with chilli sauce, but I ate mine with some crackers and beetroot dip.  Such a great healthy quick meal.

More savoury brunch ideas from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
My breakfast burritos
Pea and sun-dried tomato porridge
Potato, sausage and tomato brunch 
Potato scones
Sausage patties  
Tofu scramble

Spinach, sundried tomato and chive chickpea scramble
Coconut and Berries and Ricki Heller
serves 1-2

1/4 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1-1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1/3 cup soy milk or water
1/8 tsp dried mustard
1 tbsp tahini
Large pinch of black salt (or regular salt)
1 tsp olive oil
1 handful spinach, chopped
2 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp snipped chives, chopped with scissors
Black pepper

Mix chickpea flour, nutritional yeast flakes, milk, mustard, tahini and salt.  It should be a thick mixture that you could just about pour.  (The second time mine was really thick and I added an extra splash of milk to loosen it.)

Heat oil in the frypan over medium heat.  Pour chickpea mixture in and cook a minute or two like an omelette until it starts to dry out.  Break up into chunks with a spoon (don't worry if there is a little golden brown colour on the chunks.)  Add the vegies and cook briefly until spinach is wilted.  Serve hot.

On the Stereo:
Metals: Feist

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food September 2014.  This year for Vegan MoFo my theme is The Letter S.  Today is S for Speedy Mondays.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my 2014 Vegan MoFo posts.

15 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I love "scrambled eggs" made with chickpea flour and this looks similar but with more flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea. Will have to try this. I do like the traditional egg scramble but this sounds a delicious alternative

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good! I've missed scrambles since I gave up tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great. I love tofu scramble and chickpea flour omelettes so this sounds brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my husband would love this, he adores chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your version looks lovely - and reminds me of Emma's recipe that I noted but have not tried!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely combination of ingredients. The chickpea scramble looks lovely. And serving it in a roll is a great way to enjoy it xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of such a dish before, but it looks great! I like eggs and chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure why my comment never wanted to come through here - I'll try one more time. The chickpea scramble looks great! I saw it on Emma's blog and bookmarked it for later. I actually made my first scramble (tofu) in aaaages yesterday, I think I ate them so much for a while that I went of them a bit. I'm glad to be back though, because it is such a quick, easy and nutritious meal to make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great Johanna! I do like chickpea flour scramble on toast but stuffing it in a hearty roll is a great way to make it portable! Most things are better with sun dried toms in my opinion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so going on the to-make list. That looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea! I haven't done a chickpea scramble before, but I've done other amazing things with chickpea flour, and this sounds like the perfect way to use it for breakfast. Thanks for a great recipe! Pinned and looking forward to making it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the sound of a scramble sans tofu. I always forget how versatile chickpea flour is. Sounds great =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got a big bag of chick pea flour at home, and I keep meaning to try chick pea scrambled eggs. I can see now that spinach must be in there too, the scramble sarnie looks so appealing right now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw this recently on coconut and berries and loved the idea though i'm yet to try it!
    I am quite a tofu scramble fan - I always just hard tofu and it doesn't fall apart or get too watery, most recipes say firm but i don't personally think that firm works!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)